Caring for Community at Christmas
The SOS Caring for Community at Christmas Program ensures local children and youth experience the magic of Christmas, and that adults and seniors also experience joy and dignity over the holidays.
With your help, we can make sure that local children and youth are filled with excitement when they wake up on Christmas morning and see a special gift waiting for them under the tree. SOS collects new toys to fill the Toy Shop, where low-income parents, grandparents, and caregivers can shop for free. With your help, families, adults and seniors receive local grocery store gift cards so they can choose their own food items to enjoy over the holidays. Together we’re ensuring they have a good meal to share. Together, we’re helping create magic.
The Angel Tree program helps stock the SOS Toy Shop. Starting in November 2022, visit a local participating business and you’ll discover an SOS Angel Tree. The gifts listed on these Angels have been identified as “that one special gift” that a child or youth is hoping for. Purchase the gift listed on one of the Angel ornaments (or as close to it as possible), attach the Angel to your unwrapped gift and return it to the business location or to the SOS Community Services Centre in Parksville to ensure it is included in the gift distribution. Please click here for a list of participating Angel Tree businesses (2021).
Thank you for bringing joy to local residents this Christmas! Click on this link to make a donation with your credit card.
Alternatively, call 250-248-2093 during office hours (Monday-Friday 8:30 am -4:30 pm, closed for lunch from 12 pm -1 pm), or come by the SOS Community Services Centre in Parksville during those hours, located at 245 West Hirst Avenue in Parksville. In order to ensure everyone’s safety, the number of people who enter the building will be limited. For your convenience, tax receipts for financial donations can be mailed, or we can issue the receipt at the time of donation drop-off (please wear a mask and do not enter the building if you are sick).
To drop off financial or toy/gift donations at our Qualicum Beach location (744 Primrose St. at Qualicum Commons) please call 250-752-2040 ext. 1 to ensure someone is there to let you in and receive your donation. Thank you!
Toy and Gift donations
Thank you for your support! Please check back in November 2022.
Please remember to bring:
- Photo ID for each adult (19 yrs+)
- Proof of residency
- Birth Certificates, Passports or Care Cards for children
- Proof of income from previous month,
such as a bank statement or government-issued document
VOLUNTEER AND SUPPORT
Residents can host their own fundraiser with the proceeds coming to SOS to support families and individuals in need through the holidays. Please call 250-248-2093 ext. 246 for more information, or click here to learn more about Community Fundraising
2021 COMMUNITY EVENTS THAT BENEFITTED THE PROGRAM
- Tigh-Na-Mara Toy Drive Breakfast. Bring a new, unwrapped gift, gift card or cash donation Monday – Friday, Nov. 1 – Nov. 23, 2021 and receive a free traditional breakfast. Or purchase a traditional breakfast during this time, and $10 of every meal will be donated to the SOS Christmas program.
- Tigh-Na-Mara Toy Drive Through. Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2021 from 7:30 am to 11:30 am. Come by the big tent in the front parking lot, drop off a new, unwrapped gift, gift card or cash donation and be part of the community’s morning of giving! Coffee and a pastry to go will be available.
- Silver Spur Toy Ride. Sunday Nov. 28. Horses and riders from the Silver Spur Riding Club will dress up for this festive occasion and parade down the streets of Parksville. Riders will leave Ballenas Secondary School at 12:15 pm and travel along Morison Avenue, heading up McMillan St. to the SOS Thrift Shop for a short break, before carrying on to Stanford Place (to visit with residents there), and then back to Ballenas along Hirst Avenue.